• Users Online: 80
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2022  |  Volume : 6  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 42-47

Oral defensiveness in children with autism spectrum disorders at Biruku Foundation, Bandung


1 Department of Periodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Universitas Padjadjaran, Indonesia
2 Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Universitas Padjadjaran, Indonesia

Correspondence Address:
Agus Susanto
Department of Periodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Universitas Padjadjaran.
Indonesia
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/SDJ.SDJ_99_21

Rights and Permissions

Background: Oral defensiveness (OD) is a reaction to avoid stimulation of touch, texture, or taste of certain foods and feeling irritated with any activities involving the mouth in general. Children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) who have OD have difficulty with anything that involves touching in and around the child’s mouth. OD can lead to fight or flight reactions including screaming, aggressive behavior, and withdrawal in an effort to avoid stimuli. Objective: The objective of this study was to assess OD in children with ASD at the Biruku Foundation, Bandung. Methods: A descriptive study with a cross-sectional approach using total sampling technique was conducted with the parents of 24 children with ASD at the Biruku Foundation, Bandung with inclusion criteria—children with ASD who had been diagnosed by a pediatrician—and exclusion criteria—parents of children who were unwilling to participate. The research used an Oral Sensory Processing Questionnaire by Winnie Dun (1999) with a total of 12 questions. Respondents filled out the questionnaire using a 5-point Likert scale. Results were classified into three categories: typical, probable, and definite. Results: A total of 10 respondents (41.7%) were classified as typical (normal), 6 (25.0%) were classified as probable (moderate), and 8 (33.3%) were classified as definite (OD). Overall, 14 children with ASD (58.3%) were classified as having OD. Conclusion: Most children with ASD at the Biruku Foundation, Bandung have OD.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed338    
    Printed12    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded40    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal